Monday, January 14, 2008

frog or finish

There's nothing like making a big mistake for putting me off knitting. I am working on an Odessa hat for my step-mother, now a very late Christmas gift. For some unknown reason, instead of switching to size 6 needles after the ribbing, I started using size 9. And I didn't realize it until yesterday, when I pulled out the size 6 DPNs to use when the diameter got too small for circulars. Gee, I thought, these DPNs seem a lot thinner than the circular needle I'm using right now. And indeed, they were. Hmph.

So, do I finish the hat as is, or rip it out? It's a little big and floppy, but not unusually so. I do have one more skein of the same yarn, so I can re-knit the hat with the correct needles, but it will take me another week. I am completely down on this hat, though, and even finishing what I've got (another 6 rows) seems to be a challenge right now. It wouldn't be so bad except it's a gift that was due a month ago, so I don't feel that I have the luxury of sitting on it for a couple of months.

No comments: