Wednesday, June 18, 2008

I missed my knitting group


After nearly 2 months, I finally made it to my Monday night knitting group this week. I was so happy! Since April it seemed something came up each week; birthdays, house guests, illnesses, bad traffic, business trips, and so on. It was great to get out of the house, talk to other adults, and get some knitting done.

Let's see, what have I been working on. I knit a Nottingham hat for E out of some very old blue Brown Sheep worsted. It came out ok, but the yarn doesn't really show off the cables very well. And I'm worried it's a bit feminine for a 3 year old (but I won't deal with that until the fall when he starts wearing it). I really should have used this opportunity to learn to do cables without a cable needle, because there were a lot of little cables in this hat. I love the pattern, though, and plan to make another one.

I also started a tank top for myself, the Lacey Vee Shell by Deb Gemmell, in off-white Cabin Fever Cotton Tweed. It's knit in the round from the bottom up, which I like because it means no seams to sew! It also means a lot of stitches to cast on, and unfortunately I wasn't paying attention when I started, and cast on to the wrong needle size! I did my swatch on size 5 needles (correctly), but was supposed to start the ribbing on size 3. I spent the entire Monday evening out casting on and knitting the first row (which always takes me forever) with size 5 needles, only to discover yesterday that I would have to redo it all.

No comments: